Thumbnail

IEP in Budapest: Getting Started

March 04, 2020
• by
Angel Nwosu
Parliament

When Marshall says “IEP,” they truly mean International Exchange! The preparation process for studying in Budapest, Hungary made me aware of this reality. From applying to the program to getting a residence permit, it seemed simple until deadlines started approaching. The idea of studying abroad is amazing but it is important to realize that it comes with a lot of responsibility and commitment to yourself. Ultimately, it is an exchange program so you are basically taking a break from being a USC student and will be an international student at the program you get accepted to.

Let’s start with the application process. Considering that Marshall has over 30 locations to choose from, it can be overwhelming to think about where you want to study abroad. For some, the decision is as simple as deciding between Asia and Europe. But once you realize how the application process works, you will need to consider more factors than that. You will be required to rank all locations and programs so it's important that you do your research! Keep in mind that your application will receive a score and that will play a role in where you are placed. For this reason, make sure that you desire to go to your top-ranked programs. Consider the type of classes the different universities offer and any accommodations you may need. For me personally, I also had to consider cities that were allergy-friendly as well as programs that offered classes that aligned with my concentration.

Another important part of the preparation process was logistics. I don’t just mean how you are getting there. Of course, you should book your flight as soon as you can, but also think about where you will live. You truly realize how responsible you need to be when you have to find housing in a foreign country, that speaks a foreign language, and operates in a foreign currency. This was a slightly stressful process. I went the route of getting an AirBnB for the first few days I arrived in order to search for apartments in person. Ultimately this worked out well as I found a place I was comfortable in and made sure I wasn’t being scammed online. This is the benefit of finding housing once you arrive but this is not ideal for all locations so speak to students who attended your selected program last year. Also, it was stressful knowing that I was in a foreign country without permanent housing, so looking back, I don’t know if I would go that route again. But my school didn’t offer on-campus housing to us and had limited resources for finding housing. I had also heard quite a few stories of people getting scammed or showing up to an apartment that looked different from what they saw online. 

Once I arrived, I had more paperwork waiting for me. I decided to get a residence permit in Hungary as opposed to going the visa route. This is ideal for students studying in Budapest, Hungary as the visa process is more complicated and still requires you to do more work with the immigration office once you arrive in Hungary. I recommend doing it as soon as possible because it is likely you will spend the entire day at the immigration office and you only have 30 days from when you arrive to apply!

Lastly, pack moderately. It’s important to be realistic about what you will need. Consider weather, traveling, and if you plan on purchasing more items once you arrive at your program. Overall, I can’t stress enough how independent you need to be to succeed in the exchange program. The office will try to remind you of the basic tasks you need to get done, but ultimately it is your responsibility!