ESCP Logo

How to Master Master Classes at ESCP

February 17, 2022
• by
Julia Castaneda

ESCP CampusI am currently an exchange student in the master in management program at ESCP. Yes, it is exactly as it sounds. I am currently studying with tons of master's students from all over the world, meaning they are all ages 22 to 26 and sometimes even 28. Along with their ages, many have had job experience or are also doing part-time jobs while they are studying. While it can sound intimidating, it has been such a great experience. I have met people from all parts of the globe including Ireland, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, and even other parts of the United States. The ESCP master's program brings people together not only so they can learn from their prestigious program but from each other. Already halfway through the semester, I have learned about many different cultures, lifestyles, work styles, and, most importantly, communication skills. With group projects being the main part of our grades, learning to be flexible with how one communicates is key. It can be difficult to adjust to at first but it is such a great skill to acquire before entering the workforce and being a part of such diverse teams every day. Here are some of the key tips I have learned to help overcome some of the barriers one might face in these groups:

1. Make sure each person in the group gets a chance to speak
For many of the students in this program, English is not their first language. Therefore, they are less inclined to speak or share their ideas in front of a group and in a language they are not very familiar with. However, each person has such great and unique ideas it is important to hear them all in order to come to the best conclusion for each project.

2. Schedule time to meet outside of class in class.
As I said before, many master's students are busy with current internships/full-time jobs. Exchange students, like us, are busy traveling across Europe each weekend as well. Therefore, it can be very difficult to find a time to meet together. Most groups utilize WhatsApp to communicate outside of class. While this is a great way to discuss, it can be hard when people do not always check WhatsApp (like me). Therefore, I would recommend setting up a time in class while everyone is in the same spot and sticking to it. It is really easy to quickly discuss with your team after class, and it will be so nice to have some designated time to work on your projects because trust me you will need it. 

3. Be open-minded! 
While this seems quite obvious, I think this is most important. You will be working with people who have learned such different styles of business. Some things may sound different than what Marshall may have taught us, but don’t dismiss them because it can be just as beneficial to the team’s success. Everyone has something important to say so just make sure to listen and be receptive!

Overall, working in a team is such a great learning experience for this is ESCP Backpack/IDsomething we will be doing for the rest of our lives no matter what career path we choose. Thankfully, BUAD 302 and 304 greatly helped me prepare for these projects. As said before, these projects are often a majority or even the entire grade for master classes so making sure your team works well together is key. So far, I have had such great teams and have learned more from them than in some of my actual classes. I am greatly looking forward to the second half of the semester and all the amazing things that I will learn! I am so grateful for the education ESCP is providing me with. Until next time, Au Revoir!