Thumbnail

Research! Research! Research!

February 14, 2020
• by
Parisa Deokule

Research! Research! Research! That’s the best thing you can do leading up to your flight abroad. In the months before coming to Madrid, I let my excitement overtake; I googled numerous articles and watched hundreds of YouTube videos about Spain and the rest of Europe. This allowed me to create a clear idea of what to expect and what I would need to prepare for.

The summer before I applied to go abroad, I did a rough estimate of how much money I wanted to spend on trips abroad. I decided that I would at least take ten weekend trips and allocated money per trip accordingly. I aimed to put aside a minimum amount of money from my summer internship and job. By giving myself a generous estimate, I had a buffer between cheaper and more expensive trips and shopping for when I got to Madrid. Everyone has different travel lifestyles so just get an idea of how you want to be spending your money and what works best for you.

Apart from the basics like getting my visa, flight and apartment, there was still a lot more that needed to be done. My network of friends from USC and high school came in handy. I scheduled phone calls and “coffee chats” with my friends who studied in Spain, specifically in Madrid. I was able to get an idea of which phone plan to get (Orange works great in Spain), how to make an appointment for an unlimited student metro pass, and where to shop for apartment basics (El Corte Ingles and Primark have everything you need). I also began my search for an international credit card with no travel fees in October. There were problems with mine and it took some time to come so I would recommend starting early. I also tested my card in the U.S. first to ensure that it worked (it did not so I had to go back and forth with the credit card company). 

In November, I started to think about what I wanted to bring and what I still needed. As a California-native, I knew I was going to be ill-prepared for the frigid Madrid winter. So, I took advantage of Black Friday shopping and ordered thermals, sweaters, and coats. While they did take up space and add weight to my luggage, these cold-weather necessities were well worth it. 

Lastly, I spent my winter break researching which trips I wanted to take abroad. While I did have plenty of open weekends, I quickly realized I wouldn’t be able to do everything. I used my time during break to prioritize what was important to me and which trips I could let go of if I had to. I also took a look at what train and flight tickets would look like so I could allocate my budget accordingly. I found it was best to travel around Spain via high-speed rail: it was often cheaper than flying, more spacious, and the bag limit was more generous. 

Getting ready for five months in Madrid took a lot of planning and preparation, but it was well worth the effort. I felt secure and ready before leaving to go abroad. I didn’t have to waste time in Madrid figuring out the little things; instead, I was able to immerse myself into the culture and create new experiences.