Pre-departure to Jeju Island

April 27, 2022

I am super happy because midterm week is officially over! I planned a trip to Jeju Island right after midterms to celebrate. However, my friends and I found out it will be raining the whole time we are there. It is such disappointing news, but we already booked our plane ticket so we could not change it. We had set an itineraries of many outdoor activities to do such as golfing, ziplining, and more. I kept changing the weather everyday, and the forecasted rain percentage kept changing so it was really hard to plan out our day. Instead of sticking to a strict itinerary, we decided to just go with the flow based on the weather.

Since Jeju is an island, I went shopping for a lot of new clothes so I could take good pictures! My friends and I spent the weekend shopping for carry-on luggages, getting our nails done, refilling our eyelash extensions, and more girly things. mI also was going to be going to Jeju on Sunday to Thursday, so I had to spend quite a lot of time doing homework and assignments early so that I do not have to stress about it while I am over there. The perks of online zoom classes is that I could still travel around and not have to worry about being in Seoul to attend my lectures. I spent a lot of money buying a lot of things for pre-departure, so I am a bit worried about how much I will end up spending. I realized I have not been budgeting throughout my whole time in South Korea so far, so I am starting to get more conscious of how much money I am spending for the remainder of my time abroad. Initially, my friends and I wanted to go on Thursday and return on Sunday, but the flight prices were extremely expensive! It was almost $100 for a one-way trip. We decided to save money and go on Sunday instead because it cost us $60 which is a big price difference. One of my friends from LA came to visit South Korea three weeks ago, but she was going to leave back to Los Angeles the same day I was going to go to Jeju. My friends and I decided to throw a small goodbye party for her the day before we both left. mWe surprised her with scrapbooks of the things we did in South Korea together and went to the karaoke bar afterwards to commemorate our first time hanging out in a foreign country together. And of course a long night of singing our lungs out, we got hungry so we took the taxi to go to Itaewon. It was a Saturday night so there was a long wait line even at 1:00am! I think we waiting almost two hours to get seated. The went to a restaurant with really good fishcake soup!

Then, I mainly spent the rest of the night researching cool spots to visit in Jeju. Since the weather was going to be unpredictable, my friends and I just made a list of backup things to do in case the rain gets too heavy. I was going to rent a car since I have an international drivers license. However, my friends and I decided to cancel the rented car to save cost. We figured it would be more safer and convenient to take the taxi everywhere instead of driving in the rain. I have a 7:00am flight, but I live far away from the airport so it means I have to wake up extra early at 5:00am. Anywho, I am super excited and can’t wait to share more about my trip in more detail