Midterm Week in South Korea

April 27, 2022

Hey! Welcome back to my blog. If you did not read my previous blog post, I highly recommend reading it first before this one. However, a quick one sentence summary from my last post is that I tested positive for coronavirus the week before midterm week. sIn South Korea, all midterms take place in one week. I actually like this concept, because at USC, midterms are all over the place and depend on the professor. For example, I would have one midterm every week. I did not like that because it meant I had to keep studying all the time as I never had one week to just relax. In South Korea, week 8 is typically known as the midterm examination period. Every class will have their midterm exam during this week. I actually only had two midterms which was really great. My other classes do not have a midterm, but rather a group paper that is due the following week. 

It was really great that I did not have many midterms, but it was still difficult for me to study since I had really bad covid symptoms. Rather than catching up on lectures and reviewing my notes, I spent most of the week before midterms just sleeping and trying to recover. As a result, I felt extremely unprepared going into my exams. I was pretty nervous I would not do well. Luckily, I started to get better and not have symptoms a day before my exams. My midterms actually went pretty well despite the unexpected difficulties I had to face. I think I did pretty well, so I am going to hope for the best!

After 7 days of testing positive, my RA told me that I am allowed to be free from my quarantine period and return to my original room. I still had slight symptoms such as mild coughing and a runny nose, so I asked if I could stay in the quarantine for a few more days. However, my request was turned down so I thought that was a bit strange…

Overall, midterm week went alright. The whole week was just mainly just focusing on studying and recovering so not much interesting that happened during this week. mI started to make a full recovery towards the end of the week, so I went to celebrate with my friends at night.

We went to Apgujeong Rodeo at a really famous KBBQ restaurant where celebrities go! It is really interesting because they had a whole wall dedicated to the celebrities signature. A lot of people were here as well, so we ended up waiting two hours to get seated. I think the long wait was worth it though because the pork belly meat was extremely delicious! It was a great way to end the night for my first day being able to go out of my quarantine. 

mMy friends and I were full but we also wanted to try a famous Chinese restaurant nearby, so we ended going for a round two of dinner!

Next week, I will be going to Jeju island so I am super excited! This will be my first time going out of Seoul too! I cannot wait to update you guys with my Jeju trip in my next blog