Fun moments and not so fun moments in Korea…

March 28, 2022

I cannot believe I have been in South Korea for one full month! This is crazy as it feels like I just arrived a week ago? The weather is still really cold, but it is definitely warming up. I do not have to wear long puffer jackets anymore so I am really happy! The downside is that it was a super rainy week. rRain is so rare in California, so I am not used to it. In general, I do not like the rain because I live in a dormitory which is situated on a very steep hill. This makes it extremely dangerous to walk back up at night. In the end, there were many nights where I stayed which made this week a bit boring. I mainly only enjoy going out and exploring Korea at night due to my class schedule. Instead, I spent the rainy week just catching up on my school work, watching Korean dramas, and planning future trips outside of Seoul. 

It was hard to meet up with my friends during this period as the dormitory is extremely strict with guests. There are no guests allowed into your rooms, and no one living outside of the dormitory can come in. To make matters worse, there is a COVID outbreak in the dormitory. There have been so many people testing positive for the virus so now the staff removed tables in the kitchens for students to meet and eat together. The social aspects of the dorms was something I was looking forward to, but I must admit that I regret living in the dorm a lot. I remember a lot of students expressed the same attitude towards this in the forms as well. I highly recommend finding an off-campus place near the university instead! 

g

Also, we got a message from the RA almost everyday about a confirmed COVID case in the dorms. It was pretty bad to the point we were constantly asked to wear our masks even in the room with our roommate which I thought was pretty weird. 

Luckily towards the end of week, the weather started getting more good enough for me to go out! I spend a lot of time at Apgujeong Rodeo. I really like this area in Seoul! I met up with a Korean local friend at this place called RPM Seoul. gA lot of celebrities come here as well! Unfortunately, I went on a Tuesday so I did not see any celebrities but the ambiance was really beautiful. The downside is that due to the 11:00pm curfew in Seoul, I did not get much time to hop around other bars and restaurants nearby.

In general, I just like walking around the district just to sightsee as there is always something new and interesting! I have also been making a lot of friends that way since a lot of people are friendly here and love to mingle and speak with foreigners. 

Overall, this was a great way to end the week so it was really fun! The weather is supposed to be really warm next week which makes me excited! It will be the start of the cherry blossom season so I cannot wait to go to many places. I will definitely be uploading lots of more interesting pictures and beautiful scenery in my next blog!