Paris landscape

Au Revoir Paris

May 17, 2022
• by
Julia Castaneda

jardin du luxemborg

4 months, 12 countries, 21 cities. Studying abroad was the best experience of my entire life. This was my first time ever in Europe and I was able to travel all over. I immersed myself in new cultures, tried new foods, did fun activities, and learned how to travel on a budget! In each country, I learned and tried something new, whether it was a new food (e.g. snails, shark), or new activities (e.g. camel riding, ATVing). Not only did I learn things about other countries and cultures, but I learned a lot about myself and how to be independent/responsible while navigating a foreign country. Overall, I am very grateful for this amazing experience, for it is one that I will always remember. I highly encourage everyone, if lucky enough to have the opportunity, to spend a semester (or longer) abroad. You will not regret it. 

Now living in Paris made the experience all the better. From the beautiful architecture to the delicious pastries, I fell in love with this city. I will forever miss my morning runs along the Seine, going to cafes with my roommates, and sitting in Jardin du Luxembourg to people-watch. My apartment on the lovely Rue Charlot truly became my new home for the semester. One that I will always remember. 

Here are a few of my biggest tips to pass forward to anyone who is wanting to study abroad in Paris, Europe, or anywhere. 

1. You do not need as many clothes as you think.

“I might wear this” is a phrase you should not be saying to any clothing item you pack. Only pack a few of each item, especially coats. I did the typical thing and overpacked. I probably had at least 20-30 items of clothing I never even touched this past semester. While I was lucky to have enough space in my closet for these unnecessary items, not everyone will. So pack light and make room for things on the way home. Because I overpacked and purchased many souvenirs, I had to pay a ridiculous overweight fee. Again, if you don’t think you will wear it more than once, do not bring it!  

1. Enjoy your weekends in your host countries

While I greatly enjoyed all my travels to many different European/African countries, one thing I wish I could have changed was spending more time in Paris. You have your entire life to travel abroad, but how often can you say you have lived in another country for 4 months. Take the time to get to know your host country. Do more than just the typical tourist spots, but become the local you are for the time being. Then, when you go back you will know the country differently than American tourists. You won’t regret it!

1. Go out of your comfort zone

While this may seem quite obvious, this was really something that helped me make so many more amazing and fun memories. Remember you only get this opportunity once, so make the most of it while you can! 

I would like to thank USC Marshall for making this experience possible and I hope to see many follow in my footsteps. If you ever need advice or have any questions please feel free to send me an email (julia.m.castaneda@gmail.com). While this is goodbye for now, it is definitely not forever for I will certainly be back. As always, until next time, Au Revoir!