7 Day Mandatory Quarantine in South Korea

February 26, 2022

Good morning! I have officially completed my 7 days of mandatory quarantine in South Korea. I chose to quarantine in an Airbnb of my choosing. In total, I paid $450 for my accommodation and food included. This is actually on the low end, as a lot of people paid around $680~870 for their quarantine. 

For incoming arrivals on a long-term visa, we have several options on what services we want to use for our quarantine. If you have family in South Korea, you are allowed to quarantine at a family member's home upon proof of relations. Most international students used third party services such as Stay14, Stay4korea, Enkor, and AirD. They are perfect for international students as most do not speak Korean and are coming to the country for the very first time. These sites arrange the quarantine taxi from the airport to the public health center, provide three full meals, and a Korean sim card. However, I have already traveled to South Korea before so I am familiar with a lot of the things here. While I do not speak much Korean, I can still get by for the most part so I chose to quarantine in a government approved Airbnb. Most students avoided Airbnb, because they felt it was too complicated as they had to figure out how to order meals, take out trash, arrange transportation, and others by themselves. 

What I like the most about doing my quarantine in Airbnb is that I can choose where to quarantine. With third party services, they place you in random hotels or apartments without telling you the location until you arrive in South Korea. I have heard horror stories about some places being dirty or the host being unresponsive. With Airbnb, I can make sure to pick a place with a responsive host and a place with high ratings. Afterall, you will be stuck in this room for 7 days so you might as well be certain that is a good place to be stuck in.

When I arrived at my Airbnb, it looked exactly like the pictures shown on the website. The place had a 5 star rating so I expected it. My quarantine place was an apartment with 1 bath and 3 beds. It was super spacious! I arrived very late at night, which was 10pm. I was supposed to go to the health center to take my PCR test but it was closed. It is required by the government to take your PCR test within 24 hours of landing, so I had to go the next morning when it opened.

The walk to the public health center to take my PCR test

Quarantine is 7 nights so even though I arrived at 10pm, they still count it as Day 1 of quarantine. I arrived on the 18th, so I am allowed to leave at midnight on the 24th. However, my dorm does not allow me to check in after midnight so I left the next morning on the 8th day. I walked to the health center for my first PCR, but it was super cold. Seriously. I was literally freezing. It was 26 degrees Fahrenheit, so instead of walking to the health center again on the 23rd, I rode the quarantine taxi. It is required to take a second PCR test within 1-2 days of being released from quarantine. You can only take the taxi or walk to the health center

In terms of food, I bought instant oatmeal packets from the U.S that I ate everyday for breakfast. I highly recommend bringing snacks as well! I only ate twice a day as I was very jetlag, so I napped a lot during the day. I used a delivery app to order dinner for 6 nights which cost me around $8~$15 dollars each time. I really liked this option because people who used third party quarantine services were not allowed to choose the food they wanted. My friends who used them complained about their meals arriving either cold, or they did not like it. The meals were also costly for them as well as it was included in their quarantine packet. I felt really happy with my Airbnb quarantine experience because it was a lovely place in an area with great food delivery service. Ate a lot of kimbaps during my quarantine!

I spent most of my time during quarantine going over orientation videos, class registration, researching and making appointments to places I want to visit in Korea, and making videos and TikToks! Overall, 7 days of mandatory quarantine passed by extremely fast. In fact, it felt like I was only quarantined for maybe three days in total.

Now the adventures in Korea begins. Super excited to show you guys how my first week in South Korea goes in my next blog post. :-)