Thumbnail

3 Reasons to Study Abroad in Budapest, Hungary 

by
Isabel Tangel

Have you ever been to a ruin bar? Soaked in a thermal bath? Become friends with kids from around the world? If not, all the more reason to study abroad in Budapest, Hungary. 

As destinations go, Budapest is one of the most underrated cities for college students to study abroad. However, after living in the city for 2 months, I believe that Budapest is the ideal location if you are willing to venture outside of your comfort zone. Over the course of my time here, I have fallen in love with the city, grown from learning to adapt to the Hungarian culture, and made life-long friends from around the globe.

The History

Coined the “Pearl of the Danube” and the “Heart of Europe”, the city of Budapest itself contains hidden treasure chests of history buried from the post WW2 and Eastern European renaissance era. For example, the famous local bars are the ruins of bomb shelters and abandoned infrastructures that create an unforgettable pub crawl experience. The most famous museum in Budapest is the House of Terror which illustrates the overlooked brutality of the Communist regime over Hungary.

The Affordability

Budapest is the most affordable study abroad location; the cost of living here is nearly 3x less than London or Milan. Furthermore, flights to popular destinations such as Amsterdam, Rome, Copenhagen, and Berlin are guaranteed to be under $100 if you book in advance with the university’s discount. 

The People

Above all else, what makes Budapest truly special to me is the other students in my program at Corvinus University. Unlike most other programs, Corvinus organizes a series of welcome events before the first week of classes for all the international students to get to know one and other. Through the events, I have made friends from countries such as Portugal, Germany, and France who have given me local recommendations in their native countries.

Of course, Budapest isn’t perfect but the challenge of adjusting to new cultures and environments is what makes the ultimate study abroad experience.