Garden Luxembourg Landscape

Spring in Paris!

March 23, 2022
• by
Julia Castaneda

Finally, Spring in Paris has come. It has gone from being an average of 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit to now 50-60! (make sure you always clarify Fahrenheit or Celsius because they use Celsius all over Europe). While this might seem cold for USC students and California residents like me, it is the perfect weather for exploring Paris! I have been able to joyfully experience many more outdoor things in Paris due to the amazing weather. There is so much to explore, I simply will not be able to accomplish all before I head back home, but I certainly intend on trying! I luckily had two sunny days where my classes were canceled or only in the morning which allowed me to take advantage of all of what Paris has to offer! Here are two itineraries full of beautiful locations you can head to when you have spare time. 

Day #1: 11th arrondissement + Montmartre 

Canal St. MartinIt was a beautiful Thursday when the weather had finally reached above 60 degrees and almost 70! My roommates and I decided to take full advantage of the amazing weather and go explore. Since ESCP is in the 11th arrondissement of Paris, we decided to go check out the Canal Saint-Martin which was right by it. Right after our class got out around 12 pm, we decided to head to the canal (which is actually featured in Emily in Paris season 1). The canal is stunning on a sunny day and has beautiful green and blue bridges that you can use to cross over the canal or grab a cute picture. The water was so still that it was very calming. So, we decided to sit at a cafe along the canal to grabGarden #1 lunch! We actually texted some of our friends from HEC Paris to meet up with us as well. One thing I have learned to appreciate in Paris is how easy it is to just sit and eat at a cafe, while in LA you must make reservations about a month in advance to eat anywhere good. After lunch, we continued to walk along the canal until we reached Jardin Villemin. This garden was filled with people laying on blankets all over the grass soaking up the warm sun. We continued to walk through and found a small hidden area with the prettiest flowers. There was also a park with children playing. Overall, very joyful vibes of people enjoying a nice sunny day! We walked through here slowly and towards the metro station right by it to head to Montmartre. 

Sacre-CouerMontmartre is in every movie about Paris, for it gives you the most beautiful panoramic view of the city. It is easily reachable by metro, but since it is a big hill there are quite a lot of steps you have to climb to reach the picturesque view. Totally worth it though! As you can see in these pictures it is a breathtaking view. I would also recommend going at sunset with a group of friends and bringing a nice sandwich or baguette to eat at the top. There are lots of steps in front of the Sacré-Coeur Basilica. This is a large Catholic church located at the summit of Montmartre, the highest point in the city (slightly resembles the capitol building in Washington!) Definitely spend a good amount of time at this spot and take in the great view. Warning this is definitely a very touristy place, but very worth visiting at least once while you are in Paris. After the Sacré-Coeur, we decided to go to another cafe by the top and just sit and people watch, one of my favorite Paris activities. We sat for aPano while relaxing after our big climb up the hill and decided to explore more. Further away from the church, we came across a cute square called Place du Tertre that had tons of artists painting. There were cafes and cute shops surrounding the square where you could sit and enjoy the artists’ work. Our last stop in Montmartre was at the famous La Maison Rose cafe (also featured in Emily in Paris). It was on a nice quiet street in Montmartre away from all the tourists and was a cute pink and green building. By this time the sun was beginning to set and we decided to head back and rest before dinner. Overall, a perfect area to explore and relax in Paris on a nice day!

La Maison Rose

Day #2: The Seine + Jardin du Luxembourg

The Seine RunI woke up one Tuesday morning getting ready for class when I realized it was actually canceled. With an entire free day and amazing 65-degree weather, I knew I had to take advantage of it. I decided to go on a run along the beautiful Seine river. I live in the 3rd arrondissement, so I was about a mile from the river. Once I got there, I was in awe of all the bikers and runners who were also using the side of the river as their outdoor gym. It was nice to be surrounded by all of them, for it was as motivating as working out in an indoor gym but with prettier views. I ran by SaintLock Bridge Chapelle, Notre Dame, the Louvre, and even Musée d’Orsay. I finally reached the famous lock bridge where I sat for my 2 ½ mile break. I realized I was only another mile and a half away from the Eiffel Tower, which I was tempted to run all the way there. However, I realized that would be another long run on the way back which I was not energized enough for, so I decided to save that for another day. Overall, it was the prettiest run I have ever been on and I intend to do it every day now that the weather is much nicer. 

Garden LuxembourgAfter I showered and cooked a nice lunch, I decided to head to Jardin du Luxembourg. It was easily reachable by metro and took only 20 min from my apartment. On such a beautiful day it was full of people sitting out in chairs eating lunch, chatting with friends, and soaking in the bright sun. There is the stunning Luxembourg Palace that has an enormous garden and fountain in front of it. Within the garden is a tremendous amount of chairs for people to sit and relax in. I was able toCafe secure two chairs for myself (one to sit in and another to put my legs up). I brought my headphones and just sat enjoying the weather and my favorite people-watching activity. It was so relaxing I ended up sitting there for 2 hours without even realizing it! When I got hungry I had to tear myself away from the most peaceful garden and head to a cafe. Nearby the garden on Rue de Buci is a lively street with a ton of very aesthetic cafes. I went to meet up with some friends there for a while before finally heading home. Overall, a perfect sunny day in Paris that you can easily do on your own! 

Garden #2

The amazing weather has definitely made me appreciate Paris so much more. I am sad to be heading home soon, for I feel like Paris is definitely a place I could see myself living in for a longer time. But who knows maybe I will come back in the future! Overall, there are so many things to do in Paris on a nice day. I will be trying to explore as much of Paris as I can and will continue to provide some helpful recommendations. Until next time, Au Revoir!