Amsterdam Landscape

Spring Break!

February 28, 2022
• by
Julia Castaneda

February 17th came around and that was the end of my 6th week of school at ESCP. I couldn’t believe that I was already halfway through the semester and my time here in Paris. I have had such an amazing time so far with all of my weekend travels, Paris exploration, and just living in an entirely different country. This has been a great experience I would not trade for the world. In order to continue my travels and go on more adventures, my roommates and I decided to travel to Amsterdam, Berlin, and Prague for our first spring break! (yes- a perk of ESCP is they actually are giving us two weeks off of school)

Amsterdam! 

Amsterdam Canal

On February 17th we were off to Amsterdam on a quick 55 min flight. We got a cute Airbnb and met two of our other friends abroad there! Unfortunately, we happened to arrive just as one of the biggest storms in Europe hit, Storm Eunice. Luckily we still found a way to make the most of our time by finding lots of indoor activities! We visited the Anne Frank Museum, Van GoghDutch Pancakes Museum, and did an indoor boat tour of the canals! The food was all indoors too and we hit some of the most amazing food spots. My favorite was Pancakes Amsterdams which had the best Dutch pancakes. Then, we went to a food Stroopwafelmarket called Albert Cuyp where we got the famous Amsterdam stroopwafels! Both were absolutely delicious and I wish I could go back for more. I would also recommend going to FoodHallen, a large indoor food market that has tons of different cuisines and a lively seating area. Here I got some Dutch meatballs and desserts. Overall, despite Storm Eunice, I had the absolute best time in Amsterdam and I look forward to coming back here when it's a tad warmer :) 

Berlin!

Holocaust Memorial

After a few days in Amsterdam, we caught another quick 1 hr flight to Berlin. The first stop was to grab some of their famous German food for dinner. With a quick Google search, we found a highly-rated German cuisine restaurant called Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt. One thing for sure is that it lived up to its reviews and we had a delicious sausage and pretzel meal for a very good price! We loved it so much that we actually went back again the night after since it was only a 15 min walk from our hotel. The next morning we woke up nice and early for a free walking tour. It was a 2.5-3hr tour that took us to the most famous spots of Berlin and gave us an in-Zoo Berlindepth look into all the history and culture of the great city. We learned a great deal about some specifics about the Cold War and even saw the remnants of the Berlin Wall. Later on, we made a stop at the Holocaust memorial which was very moving. Overall, it was the perfect way to start our trip, for we were able to fully immerse ourselves in Berlin's unique culture and history. Now Berlin was a short trip, so we only had time to make a trip to the Berlin Zoo which we ended up spending half a day at! Luckily, we got a student discount so it was a very inexpensive day full of fun animals. The monkeys were definitely our favorite and had such distinct personalities, and I think we actually spent a majority of our time in the monkey area. We ended our last night of dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant which is one of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s favorites in Berlin, called Monsieur Vuong. It was the perfect end to a quick trip. I didn’t expect to love Berlin as much as I did but definitely another trip for the books!

Prague!

Old Town

From Berlin, we took a quick 4hr train to Prague! It was only $16 and like I have said before trains are beyond calming and an efficient way to travel. If you have the opportunity to train I would definitely recommend it, because you get to see way more of Europe, bring on any amount ofPrague Castle luggage, don’t need to worry about liquids and get free wifi! Once we arrived I was immediately in awe of the beautiful city of Prague. All the buildings were stunning and colorful. They all were so cute and perfect, it seemed as if I was in a fake movie set. The people were so nice to us as well and spoke perfect English. After walking around for a bit, we went to our Airbnb where we met up with some of our friends from Rome! Our first stop was to this rooftop restaurant that had the prettiest view of Old Town called Teresa U Prince. Next, we had the best Indian food at Indian by Nature I, for such a cheap price as well. We were shocked after all the food we ordered with how cheap the bill was! Definitely a perk we continued to have throughout our time in Prague. The next Charles Bridgemorning we decided to do another free walking tour of the Old Town and Jewish Quarter. It was absolutely amazing, for having never learned much about Prague before it was great to learn about one of the most beautiful cities in the world. For dinner that night we went to a Mexican restaurant called Agave that had such a beautiful inside as you can see in the picture here! The next morning we had brunch at Bakeshop which has the most delicious and inexpensive hot breakfasts and drinks. I finally got a smoothie which can be hard to find in some countries. We had a quick brunch and then went on another walking tour of the famous Charles Bridge and PragueGuards Castle. At the castle, we got there at the perfect time to see the changing of the guards! We then decided to have our last dinner at a Czech restaurant called Tiskárna which was absolutely delicious. Having never had Czech food I was hesitant but it was great and I would recommend getting their pickled cheese and cabbage soup. We ended up leaving late on Sunday and finally headed back to our home in Paris. One thing I can say about Prague is that it has been my favorite country I have visited during my time abroad, by far. If you ever get the chance I would definitely make a stop here at some point. It was the perfect way to end the best spring break ever! Now, back to Paris right in time for fashion week! Until next time, Au Revoir! :)