USC Marshall has teamed with ThinkImpact to offer summer social entrepreneur internships via their Innovation Institute Scholars Program in Kenya, South Africa, Ghana and Rwanda.
ThinkImpact builds social businesses in rural Africa by taking people like you to live and work with community entrepreneurs. You will identify and evaluate supply chains, and develop a socially innovative business plan. Moreover, you will learn through an asset-based community development curriculum, and unleash the potential at the base of the pyramid creating jobs, products and services that change lives.
- Emmanuel Powell (BS’12) reflects on thisThinkImpact experience in Rwanda this summer.
- 2012 Marshall Think Impact scholars describe their week-by-week adventures in Africa here.
- 2011 scholar blogs are archived for you to review.
- Marshall Press Release featuring returning 2011 scholars Willie Kuo (BS ’12) and Ayushi Gummadi (BS ’12).
Program dates are June 19-August 14, 2013.
|Manyeleti, Mpumalanga, South AfricaGhana
• The GPA requirement for this program is a 3.0 and above.
• Preference will be given to Marshall majors who are sophmores and juniors.
• Seniors may also apply as long as their full time jobs do not begin until AFTER September, 2013.
• Minors, you may apply but must understand priority will be given to Majors.
• To apply, visit https://thinkimpact.wufoo.com/forms/usc-marshall-institute-2013/
• Applications will be due by November 2nd, 2012 at 11:59 PM EST. In your application indicate that you are a Marshall Business Major.
• Students who make the first “cut” will have a 1st round interview with a Marshall staff member. Interviews will take place from November 7th-9th
• Those that advance to 2nd round will interview with a Think Impact representative via Skype in late November/ early December.
• Placements will be announced by early January 2013.
• A mandatory orientation with Think Impact Staff will be held at USC in March 2013.
Regular program costs are $4,750 (plus airfare to Africa). However, with support from the Marshall Student Services Office selected students will be awarded a $2,000 scholarship leaving the total cost of the 8-week summer experience (plus airfare to Africa) at $2,750*! This amount will be fee-billed directly to the student’s account in April 2013.
**Students will also be able to fundraise for their participation.**
These scholarships will apply for the summer 2013 program only.
*IMPORTANT — Travel to Africa for the program is not included in this cost. Moreover, an International SOS health insurance charge of $150 per student will also be fee-billed to the student. Vaccinations and visa charges are also not included in the program costs.**
12 students will be selected for the 2013 Innovation Institute.
***STUDENT REVIEWS from 2012: Click here.***
ADDITIONAL FUNDING SOURCES:
Students can also explore these sources of potential funding for this program.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Guillermina Molina at email@example.com or visit HOH 200.