Thumbnail

Melbourne Spotlight: Queen Victoria Market

Hi, my name is Bobby Sillman, and I am studying at the University of Melbourne this semester! 

Check out the following blog post about Melbourne's famous Queen Victoria Market.

March 08, 2020
• by
Bobby Sillman

If there is one place in Melbourne that I can't live without, it's Queen Victoria Market.  With food, shopping, and entertainment, QVM, for short, is a one stop shop for everything.  Plus, QVM is a short tram ride away from the campus and many student housing options around the city.

QVM is open Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 6am to 3pm, Saturday from 6am to 4pm, and Sunday from 9am to 4pm. QVM is closed Mondays and Wednesdays. During Australia's summertime (December to early March), there is the Summer Night Market, which occurs every Wednesday from 5pm to 10pm. 

I have included a few pictures below to show you how QVM is laid out and how busy it can get!

What can you find at QVM?

PRODUCE: My favorite thing about QVM is that I can shop for local and organic fruits, vegetables, homemade condiments, dry goods, and nuts and seeds. I can complete nearly all of my grocery shopping here and many of the stalls offer budget friendly prices.  

MEAT, POULTRY & SEAFOOD: As some of the most popular sections at QVM, the meat, poultry, and dairy halls sell the finest animal and fish products. Nearly every type of animal and fish can be found here, including kangaroo meat (it is Australia, after all). If eating meat isn't your thing, there is so much more of QVM to experience.

EAT & DRINK: In addition, QVM has a wide selection of restaurants and cafes. You can find pizza, doughnuts, Turkish cuisine, Sri Lankan cuisine, and many more options in the food court and scattered throughout the grounds. There are also shops for coffee, breads, pastries, chocolate, ice cream, and gelato.

GIFT SHOPPING: QVM is home to countless merchants who sell everything from clothes (both authentic clothes and even fake designer goods) to electronics and Australian souvenirs. Additionally, there are stores for books, jewelry, home decor, toys, sporting goods, and pets.  QVM is a great place to start if you are searching for a gift for yourself, your friends, or your family. 

SUMMER NIGHT MARKET: On Wednesdays during the summer months, QVM turns into entertainment central. There is live music, a pop-up volleyball court, and lots of places to shop or enjoy a quick service, such as a massage. And for the foodies, the Summer Night Market draws the best food trucks. If you are in Melbourne during the summer, I highly recommend coming here for a fun night out. 

While the bolded sections above only highlight QVM's main components, QVM is constantly changing. Each time I go to QVM I discover something new, whether that be a new food or a new vendor. I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect if you go to QVM.

TIPS for Shopping at QVM

• Bring cash. Many shops and stalls do not take credit or debit cards.
  • Bring your own reusable bag. Some places have plastic or paper bags for customers, but some do not. Regardless, it is better for the environment.
  • Take your time. QVM is a large complex, and while it may be tempting to make it down every aisle the first time you go, if you'll be in Melbourne for a while, it's best to  explore QVM in pieces. That is, until you learn how to navigate QVM and know where your favorite spots are.